Al-Zaqora Small Business Development Center (Z-SBDC)
Address: Al Nassriyah province, St. Al Zaytoon, Nassriyah Chamber of Commerce
The Zaqora Small Business Development Center (Z-SBDC) Nassriyah SBDC was established in April 2008 with a grant from the Dhi Qar PRT. It is currently registered under the umbrella of its parent organization, the Nassriyah Chamber of Commerce, which was established in 1958 to offer technical assistance to merchants and investors and to assist the GOI in locating contractors for GOI projects. The Z-SBDC aims to become a leading economic development organization in Dhi Qar Province and will play a major role in stimulating the growth of private enterprises and creating new jobs and employment opportunities.
The mission of the Z-SBDC is to support private sector development in Dhi Qar province by improving the supply of business services to small and medium enterprises and working with local stakeholders to improve the business and investment environment.
Board of Directors Chairman: Mr. Abdul Razaq Al Zuhairi.
Authorized Contacts: Eng. Thijeel Kareem Obaid, Executive Director.
Full-time staff: Accountant, Admin assistant, IT specialist, Marketing coordinator; 4 business trainers, program coordinator, training coordinator.
ZSBDC at a glance – accomplishments to date:
- "How to start or improve a business"—63 courses with 848 participants (through May, 2011).
- Youth Employment training – 2 courses with 27 participants.
- Other training courses (agribusiness training, computer basics, English, proposal writing, sewing) – 30 courses with 381 participants.
- Doing Business Conference.
- Business Forums (3).
- Dhi Qar Business Directory (2 editions).
Current Services Offered at ZSBDC:
- Business skills trainings and consultancies for SMEs.
- Dhi Qar Business Newsletter and Advertising Services.
- Employment Preparation and Placement Services.
- Printing and Marketing Services.
- English and computer courses.
- Feasibility studies.
- Translation services.
- Legal advisory services.
Business Relationships and Affiliations:
- USAID-Tijara (technical assistance, procurement package & training support; funding source; Iraqi Youth Initiative)
- Nassriyah Chamber of Commerce
- Nassriyah Technical Institute
- Iraqi Engineers Union
- Center for International Private Enterprise, CIPE
- MOU with Amalkom- CHF MFI