Women Empowerment Organization, Erbil
Address: Ainkawa, Erbil, Erbil Province
WEO was established and register as an independent NGO in 2004 and formed the WEO SBDC in 2006. With a strong focus on women’s programs, it has become one of the most progressive and successful organizations in northern Iraq in advocating for the needs of women and youth entrepreneurs. WEO is currently running 13 projects for various donors including international NGOs, foreign consulates, and UN and US agencies and implementers. The WEO SBDC is similarly very active but in conducting business skills training, workshops and services for organizations such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM), USAID-Inma and USAID-Tijara.
Help build a civil society and empower women by providing income opportunities and training.
Board of Directors Chairman: Mrs. Suzan Aref.
- Mrs. Suzan Aref, WEO Executive Director.
- Amjad Mohammad, WEO SBDC Director.
Full-time staff: Six Business Consultants/Trainers, Documentation Officer, Marketing Specialist, and M&E Specialist.
WEO Staff supporting WEO SBDC: Logistics, IT, Accountant, Administration Support.
WEO at a Glance – Accomplishments to Date:
- Conducted 91 courses and trained 1,441 participants in business, financial and computer skills (26% women) in four Northern Provinces of Iraq.
- Facilitated economic studies and market surveys.
- Provided business counseling services.
- Hosted USAID-Inma sponsored Agribusiness Roundtable Forums for agricultural officials and supply-chain organizations.
- Launched the Iraqi Youth Initiative (IYI) Program (business creation and employment promotion).
- Community Services (family violence hot line).
- Arranged several workshops and seminars for humanitarian causes, women and youth issues, and health awareness campaigns.
Current Services Offered at WEO:
- Business Skills Training and Business Consultancies for SMEs.
- YI Youth Entrepreneurial Access to Finance – Business start-up and financing assistance.
- YI Youth Employment Promotion – Youth apprenticeships and job placement skills.
- Radio Station (Women Empowerment Issues).
- Employee Recruitment and Job Placement Services.
- English and Computer Courses.
Business Relationships and Affiliations:
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Relief International
- Microfinance Institutions: Al-Thiqa Microfinance Institution and Bright Future Foundation
- University of Salah ad Din
- UNDP, UNIFEM
- French Consulate, Norway Church Aid, NDI, RTI, VEGA, IRI, NPA, PWJ, OTI, Diakonia